Monday, February 22, 2010

Strange Conventions

I know it's been awhile, and posting so soon before I have class probably isn't such a smashing idea (that was some old British slang for you), but I'll give it a go (again, very British expression).

My friend and I went to Sally Lunn's (famous for her buns) to get some dessert over the weekend. The menu tells you that Sally Lunn's is "The Oldest House in Bath!" which is believable because it's a small cramped room where eight tables are squeezed into an area that can really only hold four. The waiters have to be very skilled to maneuver their way through the room. By far the best part of the experience was when we had to rate our service, not in the typical American fashion of assigning numbers, but by drawing in smiley faces. That's right. They provided us with a circle and two eyes, and we had to fill in the expression that best captured our dining experience. Capital, capital!

I also had the excellent experience of hearing British people trying to mimic an American accent, Southern of course. It was really atrocious. It made me feel bad about how I must look when I try to sound British. Not bad enough to stop though.

1 comment:

  1. Dahling! Don't stop imitating the Brits. It's too much fun. Plus you are very good at it.

    ReplyDelete